Wednesday, June 6, 2012

That Wasn't Part of the Plan

{May 20, 2012}


Hey everyone,
 
Yeah, Danielle, that email was kind of long. But it was funny. Congrats on the job at Noah's! I have sympathy for you and working with all those drunk people. Koreans like to drink. It's part of their culture. There's this one guy at a plaza place where we go street contacting a lot who is always drunk and getting more drunk. We're friends now. Kind of. He at least makes sure I'm always working hard and tells me to go contact people. Haha. It's funny. We keep telling him to not drink for just one day and meet with us, but so far nothing has happened. Anyway. Texas sounds cool. Except during the summer. Once again, I have sympathy for you. You guys are going to a REAL game?! That's not fair. That stadium is way cool. I see the World Cup Stadium every once in awhile. We have some members that live fairly close to it. But I'm still slightly jealous. Haha and London has a cousin now. That's...nice. I'm not quite sure how to respond to that.
 
Well this week has been ok. It was rather boring and a bit disappointing. We could only meet with one of our investigators and couldn't even get a hold of half of them. Hopefully they're still a live. But for some reason they've just kind of dropped off the radar. The investigator we did meet though was our part-member family investigator so that was good. Except I was on exchanges that day and didn't do the actual meeting of the investigator. But that's ok. She's doing good and we have a new date for her and her husband is going to work towards that as well and try to be ready to baptize her. We actually were able to meet with one other investigator last night. We picked up a family a week or so ago and we just met the husband for the second time. We sat down and he told us he has a lot of worries. Holding back tears and with fear and concern evident in his voice, he just let it all out and told us everything that was on his mind. I've never felt so much concern and love for anyone, and this was the first time I had actually met him. But as he was telling us all this I felt two main things. One: gratitude for the things I have and the life I was able to live and still living, and two: God's love for him and how much the gospel will change his life. It was so powerful. During this hour long meeting, my companion and I said maybe three lines, and that was enough. He said other churches don't listen to people. They just preach and lecture and then send people on their way. But what he needed right then was someone to listen and someone to offer help. And that's exactly what we did. It was definately not part of the plan. That was obvious. We were just going to teach the restoration and committ him to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. Elder Holland gave a beastly talk about that while I was in the MTC so I'm slightly quoting him. Ha. But anyway. We came home that night feeling like missionaries, not just young people doing missionary work.
 
That was the highlight of the week. We got fed really well. We had dinner appointments every night from Monday to Thursday. So that was nice. Monday night we got invited to do FHE and that was way fun. We did a fun lesson with the little kids and just had a good time. Our members are so good. Everytime I leave one of their houses I just think "man, our ward is the best!"
 
Well Dad's letter just came. All the cool things are happening while I'm gone. Seriously. Hopefully that Venus eclipse that makes it to Korea. It's a little farther from Kanarrawherever. I guess we'll see. Well that's about all I have. Have a good week. Talk to you later.
 
Love, Elder Dorius

No comments:

Post a Comment