Monday, June 11, 2012

The Church must be true

{June 10, 2012}


Hey everyone,
 
I watched that video, Mom. Straight up that's Korea! (Link to the video:Here) I was trying to find someone I knew from it but they didn't look familiar. But it was way cool. It sounds like everyone is staying busy with good things. Haha oh Timberline...way to make it Kadin. Haha. Yeah Kylie, you're right. You will be tanner than me by the time I'm home. I'm super white. But I have been getting a little sun on my arms and face now that it's summer. One of our investigators even told me I look darker. But that was at night on a bus so maybe it was just a shadow haha. I took it as a compliment. I can't believe Malea's papers are going in today. I wrote her a couple weeks ago and told her we could use a few more blonde sisters out here. Haha. She'd probably get more stares than I do. You'll have to let me know where she's going.
 
Well this week has been pretty good. We picked up a new investigator that my companion originally talked to on a bus. He's pretty good. We had a good first lesson by explaining our purpose, promising blessings, and tying in almost all of the first lesson. I'm so glad I get to be a missionary in the era of Preach My Gospel because the memorized lessons would be way boring and not nearly as effective as teaching by the Spirit. We never heard back from our preacher friend. I think I mentioned him last week. Maybe we scared him away. I don't know. We were really looking forward to meeting him. Our ward had a BBQ party on Wednesday and two of our young men brought a few of their friends. They're cool, but they don't really show much interest in the gospel. We played basketball with a couple of them on Saturday and just had fun, so maybe later they'll have some interest. It was at least cool to see some of our members exposing their friends to the church.
 
I had the opportunity to do another baptismal interview for the zone leaders this week. Their investigator is legit. They found him on the street and I think he was smoking at the time. I can't remember. Either way, he had a bad smoking problem so the missionaries talked about the Word of Wisdom and then he just stopped. Boom. He was done. So it was a way cool baptismal interview.
 
Here's my funny experience for the week. On Sunday, about an hour before sacrament meeting starts, one of the councilors comes up to me and says "the bishop would like to speak to you in his office." That's reassuring. So in my mind I start going through all the things I could have possibly done wrong as I walked to his office. I get there, sit down, and he says to my companion, "you just gave a talk a couple weeks ago, right?" He did. Then my bishop says to me, "well I guess it's your turn then. I need you to speak today." If you think that gets your heart pumping a bit in America, try it in Korea. So of course I agreed and talked about our training we got on using the Book of Mormon in our missionary work. (Way good training by the way. Trainings on the Book of Mormon are the best!) But that's not the funny part. The funny part was after my talk and during the high councilor's talk. I was on the stand right in front of the young men who passed the sacrament and two of them were doing the classic young-men-falling-asleep-during-the-high-councilor's-talk head bob. It was super funny. They were going all over the place and I was just waiting for them to collide and wake each other up. But it never happened. But I learned that the church is the same all over the world no matter where you are!
 
That was pretty much my week. We're still in a bit of a rough spot but things should be picking up soon. It's at least time for them to. Today we're meeting up with our district and going to check out some palaces. I'm pretty excited. I'll have to take a couple pictures and send them next week. Good luck with all your activites. Remember there's good, better, and best. And I'll pass along Dad's advice too: be wise. Jacob 6:12.

Here's my "trunky" picture


No comments:

Post a Comment