Monday, September 3, 2012

Grab the Sandbags!

{Aug 27, 2012}


Hey everyone,
 
Thanks for the emails. I especially liked the blog insert from Danielle. (See blog post here) I have seen that movie so I knew exactly what was going on. That's so funny. You guys are STILL going to the lake?! What's the weather been like there lately? We had a couple days where the temperature dropped a bit and it actually got a little chilly. We even wore long sleeves for a couple days. We also found out from the mission office that there's a typhoon coming in tomorrow and if we need sandbags we can go pick them up at local community centers. That should be exciting. Luckily we live on the 13th floor so I'm not super worried, but I'm not quite sure how our day is going to turn out. We might have to park the bike. Congrats Kadin on passing the Eagle board! Especially since you get to go on the Eagle trip. Those are fun. Are you going to the same place I went to? Oh and I just used my credit card this last week. I bought a sweet vocabulary book while we were in Seoul. So it should be good.
 
Well this week has been pretty good. The girl that got baptized last week was confirmed yesterday so now it's official. We just have to fax in the baptismal record. She's already read through first Nephi and is still asking way good questions about some of the scriptures. I'm not really looking forward to the Isaiah chapters, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. We had zone conference this week. We went into Seoul on Tuesday, had our temple session in the evening, spent the night, and then headed over to the conference in the morning. It was a way good meeting. Our mission president's wife gave an awesome talk about grace that pretty much changed my whole understanding of it. She referenced a book by Brad Wilcox that sounds way good. I can't quite remember what it is. "His Grace is Sufficient" or something like that. You should check it out sometime. Then our president talked a little bit about the history of the church and missionary work in Korea. This year marks 50 years since missionaries came to Korea so our mission is trying to think of something cool to do to celebrate it. But he talked about looking back on history and remembering the sacrifices of others and see how far we've come now. Holy cow. The first missonaries in Korea were so solid. Their stories kind of made me feel like scum, but it was also some good motivation. So it was a pretty good zone conference.
 
We also had kind of an interesting experience this week. One that I've never had on my mission. I don't know if I've told you about our member that was in the hospital or not, but for at least the past month we've been visiting a super old and the epitone of frail and fragile member in the hospital, and we found out that he passed away this week. It was kind of sad but he's definately a lot better now. His health was getting worse and worse so it was time for him to go. But he didn't really have any family and was just an old guy who lived by himself, so instead of a funeral our branch just had a special worship service thing for him. It just made me grateful for the plan of salvation and the gospel.
 
We had a cool miracle last night. We made some brownies and were going to take them to our branch president, but instead of riding our bikes, my companion felt like we should walk. So thanks to my blueness I didn't put up a big fight and just agreed, and along the way we talked to a guy who had met with missionaries before and even had a Book of Mormon and had read a little bit of it. He wasn't quite ready to make an appointment or give us his phone number, but we gave him another Book of Mormon and he said he'd read it and if he had a change of heart he'd call us. It was pretty cool. It could've been a little better had he made an appointment but reading the Book of Mormon is good too. I just took that little flake of gold and put it in my bag.
 
Well hopefully you guys don't have too rough of a week. You'll have to keep an eye out for the weather here. God might be cleansing this part of the world with a flood again. Wish us luck. I'm not planning on getting washed away so I'll talk to you next week. Have a good one!
 
Love, Elder Dorius

No comments:

Post a Comment