Monday, April 18, 2011

Conference in Korea

Hey everyone,

Sounds like you've all had a busy week, as usual. How long does Kadin and Kylie's soccer season go for? It seems like every email you've sent me has a report of their games. They sound fun though. Some of the bigger wards in Seoul play soccer every week too and the missionaries go play with them. One of my buddies from the MTC bought some sweet cleats. I won't lie, I'm kind of jealous. I think it would be so fun to play soccer with your ward every week. But my ward here is good too. In response to your questions Dad there are quite a few christians in Korea. I'm not sure the percentage but I'd say your Korean girls are about right. The other main religion is probably Buddhist. We usually just start teaching the first lesson with everyone. We talk about the restoration and the Book of Mormon and sometimes talk about our purpose as missionaries and stuff like that. It's pretty good. There's a section in Preach My Gospel that basically teaches you how to begin teaching. Preach My Gospel is amazing. It has all the answers. My companion is still good. Communication is still hard but it works out for the most part. It's definately a patience builder though. And I still don't feel very confident with my Korean. English is becoming a crutch that I don't want to give up. But I think this is just one of those "line upon line" type of things and "a watched pot never boils." It takes a lot of time and practice and it's hard to see my own gradual improvement. So maybe by this time next year I'll be dreaming in Korean.

Conference was awesome. As usual. I actually got to watch a couple sessions in English. On Saturday it was just me and my companion and this super old guy in our branch. His name is Chang Lee in English. He's hilarious. Anyway, he speaks fairly good English and my companion didn't mind watching some in English so we watched the afternoon and Priesthood session. It was weird to hear talks about families and marriage. President Monson's talk isn't really the type of talk missionaries want to hear though haha. He basically told all the young men to go get married. So that was cool. It's kind of nice when the Priesthood session talks don't apply to you and you don't feel like a vile sinner. Ha. I guess that means I better get on the ball when I go home. Mom and Danielle, go ahead and just find me a nice wife and get all the plans arranged. That will save me a lot time. Haha. Anyway. Sunday we actually had our ward members come and watch and we had a meal between sessions. It was great. We've been wanting to have meals after church with our branch to try to get our members closer together. If we can't play soccer, we might as well eat. Our baptismal date investigator came to the Sunday afternoon session too, so that was good. We're still planning on baptizing him next week. Except we were just at the church and our water heater isn't working. It says the water is low. But I don't know what to do. Can Russ come over and fix it? So hopefully we'll have some warm water for him. 

Well other than that, things are still the same. Still good. Still working hard. Mom, get well soon. Talk to you all next week.

Love, Elder Dorius

No comments:

Post a Comment